msknight

Michelle's corner

Supporting Creativity

Mike S Miller. Currently going under the handle Blacklist Universe or, “Underdog Mike” on YouTube. Listening to his account of why he was blacklisted, I can understand why his unilateral assigning a religion to a character would have drawn criticism, but blacklisting him for it is perhaps a sad account of where our society is. But that’s another story.

He’s on Indiegogo with “Lonestar: Heart of the Hero” - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lonestar-heart-of-the-hero-fantasy-horror/x/13412092#/ - And the first few panels are on the overview page.

Now Lonestar appears to be a good old fashioned hero, potentially to the point of stereotypical attitudes towards women… potentially fed by Mike’s own Christian beliefs… but I backed it anyway.

I did so after watching a few of his videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/UnderdogMike - and I sat back and thought of the whole situation, of how the dynamics of funding artistic endeavours of not only comics, but also books are created.

Instead of waiting for a book to be released and then reading the reviews and buying it, we’re investing in the production of something which hasn’t even been created yet; purely on the reputation of the artist/author… even though we know that there are likely to be elements that won’t score a 10/10 with us. After all, what work does?

I sat and thought for a while if that mechanic would work for me. The input from people who are invested in the project would be a much needed driving force to push projects to completion. Personally, I think my own circumstances mean that it wouldn’t happen for me, but when it comes to a little bit of entertainment, I’d rather spend my money on an endeavour such as this, and enjoy being a part of the journey of its creation, than put money on the horses which is gone in an hour. (I don't actually bet on the gee gees, but you get my meaning.)

For the money, I’ve got far more than the finished product. I’ve got access to the creator and the whole creative process. That is something which I would definitely entertain for my own books, as long as I had firm time that I could dedicate to the whole process, and ensure that I was creating enough of a journey that the backers would enjoy.

Being part of the creation process, has also allowed Miller to include people within the comic itself. Things like this really alter the dynamic of the creative process considerably, and I have written friends into some of my books, where they’ve actually wanted to be a part of the book. It adds a whole different, personal dimension to things, and I might actually buy more books and comics this way in the future, because it is so much more than just walking into a book shop and buying something off the shelf.