msknight

The Game Believes in You: How Digital Play Can Make Our Kids Smarter
Greg Toppo
Progress: 114/256 pages

More Amazon Changes

Self publishing on Amazon seems to be extending to printed on-demand works. A bit of a surprise, as they took over CreateSpace back in 2005. It's taken them more than a decade to do this, and I can't help but wonder what this means for CreateSpace itself.

Obviously, the sales/reward ratio to the author will not be what it was previously, and you can bet that this is going to be open to fluctuation... you know how Amazon likes to work... take it in house, crush the competition and when in a dominant position, then screw the author percentage and muddle the whole thing up in screwy algorithms that no one can keep track of how Amazon is fleecing everyone.

It's even issuing its own ISBNs. So why not ASN's? I haven't got a clue.

More will probably become clear in due course, but I can't help but now that the book shops have taken a pounding, I can't help but think that the independent printers are next to face Amazon head to head.

Couple this with Amazon's continued assault on the shopping world. Since teaming up with Ocado to do home food deliveries in the UK (and the rumoured buy out that surfaced in early 2016) Amazon have now put out word of their new supermarket that does away with checkouts. The system detects what you put in your basket and charges you when you walk out. http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/05/technology/amazon-go-store/index.html

So... Amazon... they'll soon run and own the Western world.