msknight

Michelle's corner

Your Beauty Mark. All You Need to Get the Hair, Makeup, Glow, and Glam.
Dita von Teese

Fake Nostalgia

This is quite a short piece on BBC News with film director Ken Loach - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37679158

In it, he argues that wallowing, "in fake nostalgia. It's bad history, bad drama. It puts your brain to sleep."

I don't know about his argument of diversifying. Surely it would just result in more bad, "local," history in the ratings game?

This discussion struck me, because one of the most common unexpected questions I get about my writing, is who did my research. Not a question I ever expected to get asked. But yes, I do research. In reflection, I seem to be walking some line between fiction and reality.

The Submissive Heart series is based on my own life, and areas that I've lived in; that was obvious and indeed, stated. For Check Mate which was set roughly in the present day, although I've never set foot on American soil I asked questions of friends who live there, and spent some time flying around Roswell in mapping systems to get a feel for the place and the buildings. Looking back on GENIE, set in Africa in the distant future, I've even done light research on technologies and the terrain in the areas I've written about.

I've been running along so far, with the opinion that even the most far out fiction has to be believable in order to strike the strongest chords and give satisfaction. But Loache's statements have given me pause for thought. There are two directions; one is total escapism and, "bad history," but it does seem that in some areas the satisfaction with this is waning... especially as the political mess we're in now has meant people have had to wake up and take notice of their surroundings.

It feels to me, sort of like the science fiction worlds where people spent their physical lives in virtual reality, completely disconnected from what's going on around their meat bodies. But now, people are having to disconnect from those machines (the popular dramas that Loach talks about) and reluctantly deal with reality, which doesn't have a rose tint to it.

I'm due to start on a completely fictional, Tolkinesque series shortly. With that, questions like these grow stronger in my mind. As yet, I have no answer, but I do feel like I need to keep up the research and maintain a strong anchor in reality... even though everything is complete, total and utter fiction.

Anyone got any asprin?