msknight

Michelle's corner

Your Beauty Mark. All You Need to Get the Hair, Makeup, Glow, and Glam.
Dita von Teese

Reading progress update: I've read 55 out of 320 pages.

Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need to Know About Global Politics - Tim Marshall

It is interesting.Finished Russia and almost at the end of China.

One of the things I'm coming away with, is just how unstable and always-changing, the world is. However, the new generation has never really known war... or rather, the impact of war. Modern warfare has always seemed like a distant thing that our soldiers go to, and yet life continues on here in metropolis.

There are other things that have made me sit up and think... people will live and die in the blink of an eye, compared with how geography affects politics and warfare. The leaders of countries in our modern world, are still faced with the same restrictions as those faced by leaders hundreds of years before them.

It has not only shaped military strategy, but also culture. It is incredible to look back at the events of just the last hundred years and see all that has happened, and think of how wonderful the last few decades of peace in our own lands, has actually been. Some of the comments demonstrate how readily we judge another country's actions, and judge them, according to our own cultures, which obviously doesn't work.

I'm not even 20% of the way through this book and already it is altering the way I'm seeing things, and understanding the motivations of some of the recent actions, like the anexation of Crimea... and the importance of being self reliant for energy as well as knocking our selfish consumer culture on the head. Also, perhaps China is closer to a civil uprising than I believed.

There is a saying in America, that you're only ever three paycheques away from the street. Looking back at the very, very recent past, is making me aware of how precarious our future actually is.