msknight

The Game Believes in You: How Digital Play Can Make Our Kids Smarter
Greg Toppo
Progress: 114/256 pages

Genie - Locked and Loaded

Reads 2 and 3 take place on the Kindle and Kobo. For some unknown reason, I pick up errors on them that I don't on the printed copy. Why? I couldn't tell you.

The kindle is an original classic, long out of production. No backlight even. I never got on with Kindle, hated the Amazon store and ethos (Jeff Bezos is now reported to be the third richest man on the planet) and the only time when this is pressed in to service is when I have to do re-reads like this. By the time it is required, it's usually gone flatter than a champion crepe, and required half an hour on the charger (or two seconds on the defibrulator, take your pick) before it will even condescend to let me do a reset.

The Kobo H2O is the waterproof version (clue is in the name) and has a backlight as well, which is controllable by a thumb action down the left side of the screen. It's my chosen e-reader and takes a number of formats. I buy my e-books from Smashwords or from a publisher directly, as long as they're not protected and I can port them to another platform as needed... although I haven't had to progress past the Kobo yet. The software is a bit of an arse, but I warned them with what I found and now it's their problem. Typing long wi-fi passwords is a no-no as it times out the wifi connection before you've had a chance to enter it. Not that I care, as I do all my transfer by USB. I like to be in control of my tech.

So... no prizes for guessing what I'm doing with my spare time over the next few weeks... not that I'll have much because I've got overtime on the slate... I'll need it to pay for the custom artwork for the cover.