msknight

Michelle's corner

Your Beauty Mark. All You Need to Get the Hair, Makeup, Glow, and Glam.
Dita von Teese
The Shepherd's Crown
Terry Pratchett
Progress: 115/352 pages

While I'm Waiting...

While I'm waiting for the last Alpha reader to come back with Genie (hopefully he will finish it this weekend)... I'm investigating audio. These are some of the low cost headphones I've been testing over the last few weeks, and the last pair should arrive on Monday.

There are also two valve amps on the right, one of which, the Little Bear P1, is needed to drive the hideously high 1,700 ohm impedance Sennheiser HD 480 phones that have been through the hands of Canford Audio, to bring them up to spec for the broadcast market. (ie. they fitted safety limiters and changed the coils)

From left to right you've got the Grado SR225e (very nice phones, can get them at roughly half retail if you shop around) - the Musical Fidelity MF-100 (discontinued, so going for silly money while stocks last. Nice sounding phone for the cash) - The Rig 500 closed back, Rig 500 open back, Canford HD 480 and a standard, 70 ohm Sen HD 480. There are others.

On the right, the gold block is the Little Bear P2-1 currently fitted with Telefunken valves. I've been testing Philips and GE as well; the Chinese valves that came with them, were not up to the job. Underneath that is a Pro-Ject USB Box S, which is a rather nice DAC which runs off the USB line, so it doesn't require its own power supply. To the right is a LIttle Bear P1 valve amp. The Chinese valve that came with it, is actually rather nice. I'll be testing out some other valves in due course, and it's rather powerful for what it is... but then, it does feed off 24v DC.

So, now you can see what I get up to when I'm not writing, or working for a living...