msknight

Michelle's corner

The Game Believes in You: How Digital Play Can Make Our Kids Smarter
Greg Toppo
Progress: 114/256 pages

The experiences that make us who we are...

...and feed in to what, when, and how we write.

Hendon Crematorium, South Chapel. Looked impressive even in the grey British weather. It was sobering to walk up the drive and see the grave stones, some written entirely in different languages. The humanist service was superbly delivered, focusing on the life, achievements, hobbies and lasting friendships over the years. In the UK, Mothers Day is a few weeks behind the US and as I walked, tributes to Mothers no longer with us, and children who didn't get a fair chance at life, caught my heart and tears fell. One of the things which also struck me, was that some of the services listed, were a mere ten minutes long. Apparently they are committals only, and even legend David Bowie and recently deceased author Anita Brookner chose to go this way - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35812014 - the way we look at death is changing just as the way we look at our lives.

In turn, that feeds in to what we write about, and how we approach those subjects. It also feeds in to what we read, even though the core reasons why we read things, such as escapism, horizon broadening, research, etc. are still the same... there are subtle changes within us, and our behaviour.