msknight

Michelle's corner

Your Beauty Mark. All You Need to Get the Hair, Makeup, Glow, and Glam.
Dita von Teese
Progress: 208/256 pages

So begin the rabbit holes.

In order to give some more depth and to bolster the multi-national aspect, I decided to change the characters names from being more Eastern generic and encompas other countries. Two of the characters are involved in the chemistry labs and I wanted them to come from North Asia, (things do get messed around a little, after an apocalypse) so I gave them Russian names. I then wanted to build a history.

Finding out about Russian chemistry research locations turned a little awkward and I ended up with Dmitri Mendeleev (yes, Periodic Table) who studied in Saint Petersburg, but landed in Heidelberg, via Crimea. So I cut my losses and settled on Saint Petersburg.

Now, I have to research the geographic area, educational and research establishments and create a back story. Apparently it was founded in 1703 by Tsar Peter the Great and is the second largest city in Russia. "A large number of foreign consulates, international corporations, banks and other businesses are located in Saint Petersburg." according to Wiki. Daily mean is 18.8c in July and heading sub zero to roughly -5 in the four winter months. Sharp changes between October/November and March/April. I can do something with that.

I'm going to have to do more research on names, I think. I want more cross-polination between countries for it to be internationally inclusive to emphasise that post-apocalypse, people worked together more and the planet was more inclusive. This is like doing a jigsaw when you don't have a picture to work from.