msknight

Michelle's corner

Your Beauty Mark. All You Need to Get the Hair, Makeup, Glow, and Glam.
Dita von Teese
Progress: 208/256 pages

20% read - The History & Arts of the Dominatrix

The History & Arts of the Dominatrix - Anne O. Nomis

I never was good with history in school, but I feel that this is an important work to read. I'm struggling with it, sure, but in our modern day when the battle between Mars and Venus is still hot and raging, I feel like I need more depth to the subject.

So far, although the book has its twinges of fun, it isn't abusing the subject matter by claiming things which are unsupported by the research. For example, here is the conclusion of the discussion over whether or not Inanna's "keppu" implement is a whip...

It's likely that the mystery of the Goddess Inanna's dance of domination and her keppu implement will be solved in due course. The many fragments of artifacts that are in storage facilities of museums and private collections around the world may reveal the solution and there is still much to be revealed under the sands of Mesopotamia in future archaeological digs. In the meantime, though, no doubt Dominatrices will be placing their bets.

I would have forgiven an exclamation mark at the end of that paragraph!

The periods taught in school were heavily biased to the patriarchal periods when the Abrahamic religions held a firm grip over us; which are actually considerably shorter when looking back over the more balanced and matriarchal centuries that preceded it. Now that progressive society is emerging from the shadow of those religions, it is right that these extended periods are made more accessible, and that we shake off the burden of shame that has been placed on us when discussing sex, and investigate these aspects fully.

More as I continue to read, but for me, reading history in a manner that it sinks in, is always a slow process.