msknight

Michelle's corner

Your Beauty Mark. All You Need to Get the Hair, Makeup, Glow, and Glam.
Dita von Teese
Progress: 208/256 pages

Review - "Three Little Birds" - 4 of 5 stars

Three Little Birds - Carol E. Wyer

A quick warning, "Three Little Birds," opens with a few pages dealing with tragic death and depression. I should have read the blurb a little more closely because the emotion in Wyer's writing sent me on a bit of a downer. By page ten-ish I had to put the book down and leave it a few weeks until I was in the mood to return to it.

The overall style of writing didn't match my reading pace. To my eyes people, and sometimes strangers at that, were revealing too much about themselves in compressed conversation, too quickly and I couldn't remember it all. I feared that if I missed some of the detail, then I'd loose out later; even though I had an inkling that the detail about socks stolen from a daughter and a knitted, "Where's Wally," hat wouldn't be required in the after-book exam.

A bit of between-dialogue action would have helped slow it up to my sort of pace, but it kept coming thick and fast. As an example, one character loosed (ie. spoke) twenty one sentences, mostly of her life story in one paragraph, without another character interjecting or any action happening. I couldn't keep up with that kind of information flow. Fortunately, that tendency died off as the book progressed.

Wyer has a certain wit and a turn of phrase that teases the odd guffaw. Her humour reminds me of Sir Ken Robinson - https://youtu.be/iG9CE55wbtY?t=13m45s

I get the feeling that Wyer has either had personal experience of a number of the things written about, or else knows someone close that does. eg. Archipelago's restaurant. Those are the nice sorts of touches that can extend a reader beyond the book and potentially take the adventure in to real life. However, I have to faithfully report that I finished the book with absolutely no desire to attempt belly dancing.

In short, it is an active book. It requires concentration and alertness; more a work to read purposefully rather than relax with. Wyer has injected a good deal of dry wit in there, so expect the odd chuckle. The plot thread was obvious once I saw it, but even though you know what's going to happen it doesn't really spoil things if you know what I mean. After all, every story has been told before, (well ... with the exception of this particular parrot) the real magic is in how the story is told, but you get what I'm saying. Worth reading, and sticking with.