msknight

Michelle's corner

Review - Skilled writing, but no rise and fall

The Myth-ing Omnibus - Robert Lynn Asprin

Asprin is a clever writer. He can turn a phrase and has a knack of comedy. This is three books in one. Total of 600-ish pages, at roughly 200 pages per book.

Asprin builds his characters well and reasonably believably. That alone is what kept me glued to the book, wanting to read more. There were a few places where I was jarred, but it wasn't enough to make me put the book down. A number of situations left me completely puzzled, like why a smaller dragon should talk with a larger draggon which is under control of someone else, in a battlefield situation... and the larger dragon just give up and fly off. That one left me thinking, "Eh?" and as it was a fairly strong turning point in the battle that was being waged at the time, I have to admit that it left me scratching my head. I just didn't get it.

The other thing is that the level of the book continues at more or less the same pace. It didn't leave me hanging on the edge of my seat. I didn't feel like I was riding a rollercoaster of emotion... it was more like a bungling of one situation to the next, with a constant stream of Abbot and Costello.

My conclusion is that it was witty and well written, but it left some trails of breadcrumbs where I got lost in the woods through losing the trails, and it didn't really make me want to belly laugh, if you know what I mean. Worth reading, but don't expect to be blown away.