msknight

Do You Mind If I Smoke
Fenella Fielding
Zero Point
Neal Asher

To change, or not to change... that is the question

I'm facing an epic decision over the next few days. Whether to re-write The Companion and The Reluctant Leader.

Later this week, I'll be with a friend as we go over the car for its pre-MOT check. After the work is done, we traditionally sit back with a bottle or two of beer, and chew the cud. The re-write is front and centre of discussion.

She's read shed loads of books in her many decades of life, and reckons that I should just leave them as is. Personally, I know that I made the mistake of writing my legacy work while I was still in "film script" mode, which is where the written word leaves key things in the hands of the actors and director. Cinematography has different ways of approaching things and has its own way of making an impact. So those first two books are wanting.

But they are my legacy work (as far as I'm concerned) and I want them to be the best they can be. However, I'm also aware that a book can never be perfect; you have to let it go at some point and let people make of it, what they will. I already have enough feedback on Companion to know where its shortcomings are.

Bring on the discussion.... and the beer, of course.