msknight

Michelle's corner

Your Beauty Mark. All You Need to Get the Hair, Makeup, Glow, and Glam.
Dita von Teese
Progress: 208/256 pages

Indie Bound

Well, common sense said it had to exist. In the UK we have Hive which is a collection of independent bookstores. Sometimes the books I buy are cheaper on that, than Amazon. Plus other stuff comes up that just isn't available in mainstream. And I know I'm supporting local. Maybe not local to me, but at least local to someone !!!

The US have Indie Bound - http://www.indiebound.org/ - not that I can review them as I'm the other side of the planet... but it's another thing which I thought was worth mentioning.

From their web site...

Why shop Indie?

When you shop at an independently owned business, your entire community benefits:

The Economy

• Spend $100 at a local-owned business and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.
  • Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
  • More of your taxes are reinvested in your community--where they belong.

The Environment

• Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
  • Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.

The Community

• Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
  • Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
  • More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community.