msknight

Michelle's corner

Your Beauty Mark. All You Need to Get the Hair, Makeup, Glow, and Glam.
Dita von Teese

Indie Bound

Well, common sense said it had to exist. In the UK we have Hive which is a collection of independent bookstores. Sometimes the books I buy are cheaper on that, than Amazon. Plus other stuff comes up that just isn't available in mainstream. And I know I'm supporting local. Maybe not local to me, but at least local to someone !!!

The US have Indie Bound - http://www.indiebound.org/ - not that I can review them as I'm the other side of the planet... but it's another thing which I thought was worth mentioning.

From their web site...

Why shop Indie?

When you shop at an independently owned business, your entire community benefits:

The Economy

• Spend $100 at a local-owned business and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.
  • Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
  • More of your taxes are reinvested in your community--where they belong.

The Environment

• Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
  • Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.

The Community

• Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
  • Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
  • More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community.