msknight

Michelle's corner

The Game Believes in You: How Digital Play Can Make Our Kids Smarter
Greg Toppo
Progress: 114/256 pages

Turning my mind to the re-write

It isn't easy. It feels like turning an oil tanker in the sea, where you turn the rudder and gently, the ship starts to respond and takes its own sweet time in responding to the controls.

I'm starting to put my mind in the mood now. The re-write is not driven by the same enthusiasm as pumping out the fresh work of the new story telling. It's a much heavier, harder task... and I know it.

There has to be another energy behind the work of the translator... the ghost writer... the other myriad people who work on books without the fire that comes from the initial authoring; and very likely much less public recognition to boot. That... is the kind of strength that I need to find for the re-writes.

Once the car has got its MOT for another year, then I can start to settle down and focus my mind. In twenty minutes I leave for the testing station, because if the car fails, it will throw everything in to a state of panic to fix whatever fault is found, and yet another weekend will go to hell.

Here's hoping.