msknight

Michelle's corner

Your Beauty Mark. All You Need to Get the Hair, Makeup, Glow, and Glam.
Dita von Teese
Progress: 208/256 pages

Where is our writing future?

I've opined before that while our household names are passing on to that great library, recording studio, whatever, in the sky, there are few coming up through the ranks to replace them.

My view was somewhat bolstered by the report that old music is now outselling new - http://www.chartattack.com/news/2016/01/20/old-music-is-outselling-new-music-for-the-first-time-in-history/

Now, yes, I'll admit we've lost a number of industry greats and there is a rush for their back catalogue of music; but looking at the figures, catalogue music has never really been that far behind current. That closeness has surprised me.

Of course, in the book world things are considerably more bent, time-wise. Dr. Who has got nothing on the average reader. However, I do see a similar thing happening. Our greats passing away and I see little in the way of up and coming writing stars of any quality to replace them. Sure, we've had one-hit wonders, or at the moment a very small number of one-series wonders.

Given the current market place, I don't see any avenue by which a new gem could surface. The internet made the literary sea a very, very, very big pond indeed. What does this mean for societies future nostalgia? Will the next generation find themselves hunting down compilations of The Two Ronnies, Charlie Chaplain, Buster Keaton, Morcecambe and Wise, Harold Lloyd, Abbott and Costello and all the legends of time gone by? Will the 2300's be the greatest century for sales of ACDC?

And what does this mean for the writing world; which I have found extremely hard to understand? Any opinions out there?