msknight

Michelle's corner

Your Beauty Mark. All You Need to Get the Hair, Makeup, Glow, and Glam.
Dita von Teese
Progress: 208/256 pages

Entitlement Issues

There's a post from Neil Gaiman, May 2009 doing the rounds again. http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html The message is loud and clear. Here's perhaps the poignant excerpt, but trust me, the whole thing is worth reading...

People are not machines. Writers and artists aren't machines.

You're complaining about George doing other things than writing the books you want to read as if your buying the first book in the series was a contract with him: that you would pay over your ten dollars, and George for his part would spend every waking hour until the series was done, writing the rest of the books for you.

No such contract existed. You were paying your ten dollars for the book you were reading, and I assume that you enjoyed it because you want to know what happens next.

It seems to me that the biggest problem with series books is that either readers complain that the books used to be good but that somewhere in the effort to get out a book every year the quality has fallen off, or they complain that the books, although maintaining quality, aren't coming out on time.

Both of these things make me glad that I am not currently writing a series, and make me even gladder that the decade that I did write series things, in Sandman, I was young, driven, a borderline workaholic, and very fortunate. (and even then, towards the end, I was taking five weeks to write a monthly comic, with all the knock-on problems in deadlines that you would expect from that).

At my end, I wanted to make progress with GENIE over the holiday season. Instead, I flunked it. I'm back at work tomorrow and barely typed a word. In fact, I used the time to catch up on things that had lapsed; and my body sent me to bed for things like ten hour sleeps. I'm only just about ready to get back on the treadmill.

Rod Raglin summed up the situation in his recent post, "Writing Resolutions for 2016", The book income is not going to pay the bills. Even if I was to make it to those average targets, I won't even cover my mortgage, let alone other bills. So I'm consigned to the grindstone and writing will just be a hobby.

But I'm conscious that some of these books I'm starting are going to be series. And with my ramping up from the 50,000 to the 100,000 target, it's a different quality of writing. More in-depth background work to be done, and more back story to lay out. I'm very conscious that I'm lighting blue touch papers. Starting off expectations in people who now live in the world of immediate satisfaction.

Submissive Heart was 200,000 in about a year, on top of the day job. But the material was there and the research was my life! Other novels won't be as quick. But I want them to be good... better than Submissive Heart. Heck, I might even re-write SH five or ten years down the line. As a, "projection," of my life, it certainly deserves it.

Today, I've got two videos that I want to record for YouTube. I also have a segment to build in Minecraft for my villager population. They've already grown to the degree where they have their own Iron Golem (the game generates one to protect villages that have certain size populations... an indication that I've succeeded in protecting and nurturing them.) I'd like to finish my glass village for them today. That will leave a, "job well done," feeling in my chest before I go headlong in to the rat race tomorrow.

One of the YouTube videos is the last in a short series kicked off by the issue and discussion of the viewpoint of some trans-exclusionary radical feminists... so the conclusion video will be another tick in the box and another thing sorted. I really want to go back to work with a clean slate behind me.

I know where GENIE is going for the next chapter. A character, on a bus, going to work. On the way, they pick up a new colleague and they chat. More back story forms and the translation from, "history speak," to live action starts happening. Organic. I like organic. Perhaps I should plant my feet in the garden. Nah, that's a silly idea. I like silly ideas, organic stuff usually comes out of them. Hmm.... where's that spade....

People are not machines. Writers and artists aren't machines.

For me, I would rather read a good book, from a contented author. I don't really care what it takes to produce that. - See more at: http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html#sthash.lavIUBdX.dpuf